Illness and COVID-19 information
Individuals who are experiencing symptoms of flu, COVID-19, or gastrointestinal distress
Test for COVID-19 prior to returning to campus. If symptoms warrant, consider testing for flu, strep, or other illnesses.
The individual may return to school if ALL the following conditions are true:
- Test results are negative
- Symptoms are improving
- The individual is fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications
- It has been 24 hours since an incident of vomiting or diarrhea.
Wear a well-fitted KN95-type mask indoors until flu or COVID-19 symptoms have fully resolved.
Individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19
Wear a well-fitted, high-quality KN95-type mask indoors for ten days following exposure.
Individuals must monitor carefully for symptoms.
Test frequently for COVID-19. We recommend testing daily if possible, or at a minimum immediately upon learning of exposure and at least on day three and day 6 after exposure.
Individuals who test positive for COVID-19
- Inform the health team () of the diagnosis and follow all CDC requirements.
- Stay home and isolate for at least five days (CDC defines day one as the day after the positive test).
- On day 6, if the individual has no symptoms or symptoms are resolving, and they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication, they may return to school.
- Per CDC and Waynflete, individuals are REQUIRED to wear a well fitting KN95-type mask from days 6–10, indoors and outdoors.
Students in the EC program may need to return for half-days only during days 6–10 as we cannot accommodate unmasked nap time. Please discuss with the health team for more information.
Athletes who are returning after a COVID-19 diagnosis
Following an asymptomatic or mild COVID-19 infection, a student-athlete may return to athletic participation on day six, i.e., following five-day isolation (day 1 is the first day after positive test) if they are otherwise healthy and meet criteria in the policy for returning to school after COVID-19 diagnosis. If the student-athlete had a moderate or severe infection, their PCP should provide the Waynflete health team with specific guidance for their return to athletics.
Students must wear a mask when inside until day ten or have two negative rapid antigen COVID-19 tests 48 hours apart. Test results should be sent to . Contact Waynflete Athletic Trainer Heather Dean at or the Health Team at , with questions related to athletics.