The Waynflete community’s commitment to environmental sustainability is woven into our daily practices and operations. We are continually exploring ways in which we may lessen our impact on the planet, reduce waste produced, and minimize our energy consumption.
The school’s commitment to the environment is an integral part of the curriculum set for every grade. From an ecologically-centered program in the K- 1 classroom “habitats” (which includes stewardship of the school’s vegetable garden) to the Upper School student group WEAG (Waynflete Environmental Activism Group), Waynflete students are actively engaging in or promoting the importance of sustainable practices.
Recognizing an increasing desire from our community to assess and address Waynflete’s environmental impact, the school established the “Green Team” in 2008. With representatives from all divisions of the school, this committee is charged with expanding and implementing Waynflete’s various green initiatives.
Green Team Statement of Purpose
The Waynflete Green Team seeks to apply the school’s mission to our interaction with—and impact on—the natural world. Our aim is to create an atmosphere that expects conservation, promotes efficiency, and encourages forward-thinking on all issues of sustainable living and working practices. We strive to support and facilitate the school’s effort to reduce our ecological impact on the earth.
We work to:
- be models and resources for the larger community
- work towards greater energy efficiency and reduction of waste across campus
- heighten community awareness about environmental issues and greener practices
- make visible our efforts around campus to become more environmentally sustainable
- streamline systems so as to allow students and other members of the community to easily participate in greening efforts
- support efforts to develop community investment in stewardship across divisions of the school, on campus and off
- support curricular threads that fall in line with environmentally sustainable practices and increased awareness of the natural world and its systems
- inspire behavioral change.
Mean Green Eco Team
In this Middle School activity, students help to create and sustain a more eco-friendly environment. Students take part in green initiatives, including recycling, gardening, and composting. We hope to plan a field trip to EcoMaine and/or Garbage-to-Garden to see large-scale recycling and composting efforts in action. Current and former Mean Green Eco Team members are invited to assist the Dempsey Challenge Green Team in mid-October.