Programs - 2020
Registration for Waynflete Flyers Camp opens February 1, 2020.
- Weekly and multi-week sessions, June 22 to July 24, 2020
- Unique day programs for campers aged 3 to 15 years
- Two locations: Waynflete School campus in Portland’s West End and Waynflete’s outdoor sports complex at Fore River Fields, with optional free shuttle between locations
Camps By Age and Weekly Session Cost:
- EC Flyers Camp (ages 3-4) $360 full day; $265 half day
- K-1 Camp (ages 5-6) $350 full day
- Sports Camps at Fore River Fields $295 full day (9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.)
- Waynflete Wombats (Grades 2-5) $350 full day (8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- All Out Teen Camps (Grades 6-9) $350 full day (except Out & About, see below)
- **Out & About Camps (Grades 2-9) $365 full day, includes field trip transportation
Extended Day Program, 3:30-5:30 p.m., is $22 per day per child or $88 per week
- Early Bird discount: $25 off each full day registration for those who sign up by April 1, 2019
- Sibling discount: 10 percent off when siblings register for the same week
- *One discount per registration.
Camps By Program
EC Flyers Camp (Early Childhood, 3-4 years)
The EC Flyers Camp is tailored to meet the unique needs of 3 to 4-year-old campers. This camp offers a mix of structured activities and free play, indoors and out. Afternoon includes nap/rest time. Each week, EC campers explore a different theme through storytelling, creative movement, art, and music.
K-1 Camp (5-6 years)
Based in Waynflete’s beautiful new K-1 classroom, these active campers rising to Kindergarten and Grade 1 will jump right into summer fun with themed learning tracks, summertime arts and building activities, storytelling, music, group games and plenty of free play. The K-1 program, for campers aged 5 to 6 years old, moves at a faster pace than EC Flyers. For K-1s, art is integrated throughout the day, and many group activities begin to help campers build community and teamwork.
Waynflete Wombats (Grades 2-5)
Students rising this Fall 2020 into Grades 2-5 may sign up for weekly camp sessions in the following:
- Summertime Arts: Sewing/Hand-works/Textiles & Fashion Design, combined with a different Art/Craft focus each week, including loom weaving, drawing/painting, ceramics, toy and puppet design
- Theater Intensive (3 weeks, culminating in a production)
- STEAM/Technology: computer science, robotics, coding
- Creative Dance
- Sports camps: Basketball, Tennis, Soccer, Baseball, Gymnastics
- Coastal Sketchbook Adventures** (Out & About Camp, see below)
All Out Teen Camps (Grades 5-9)
Campers entering Grades 5 to 9 in Fall 2020 have opportunities to dig in more deeply at camp to discover their interests and passions. In addition to the camp programs listed above, we offer some All Out Teen campers designed specifically for middle school students:
- Electronic Music Production - learn to record, create, and edit sounds from scratch to create your own electronic music. Chris Child (Emmy-winning composer and electronic musician Kodomo) will teach campers the basic elements of electronic music production: 1) sampling, 2) synthesis (using different wave forms to create sound), 3) arrangement, and 4) production.
- Fashion and Textile Design - Rosie returns to offer campers a week-long sewing and design course. Bring your own sewing machine or use ours, and come to camp prepared to make all sorts of sewn creations, including a piece of clothing of your own design.
- **Outdoor Traveling Dungeons and Dragons - spend the morning outdoors story-weaving and game-playing and afternoons bringing the creatures and characters alive through art; excellent training for aspiring Dungeon Masters.
- **Local Harvest - explore Portland’s local industries, such as oyster farming, fishing and lobstering.
- **Local Eats - spend mornings visiting local farms, fisheries, culinary artisans, and area markets to gather ingredients, followed by afternoons preparing delicious, healthy dishes, snacks and desserts.
- **Coastal Sketchbook Adventures - after mornings of plein air sketching and observing, campers return to the studio to continue painting and filling their journals with additional thoughts, lyrics, poetry, and whatever each camper loves.
**Out & About Camps: Out & About campers start each day with a morning field trip to explore the coast, countryside, or city - to sketch, paint, weave D&D stories, and/or interact with local artists, chefs, and business owners who make Portland thrive. Engaging knowledgeable trip leaders teach their specialty, outline daily goals, help campers reflect on and debrief material, and encourage campers to explore new views and local landscapes to sketch, paint, weave D&D stories, and/or interact with local artists, chefs, and business owners who make Portland thrive. After a picnic lunch in a scenic spot, and some free time, campers will return to camp for a variety of engaging planned activities, games, and studio time. $365 per week.